Jimmy has always been my 'reluctant' reader, and it frustrated me to no end that he'd get halfway into a book then never pick it up again. We have figured out that he likes non-fiction books, and he will pick those up without any arm twisting & read them every night - the first one he chose to read was The Periodic Table - very cool book that makes the elements fun to learn about (go figure). For the next week he told me all about the elements & their properties. Physics is the newest one that just came out in that series (I'm assuming they'll be making more in this series as these two are flying off the shelves @ Scholastic).
The benefit of volunteering @ Scholastic is that I can see what series & books are popular with the kiddoes & one of the most hugely popular series is Diary of a Wimpy Kid. It is insanely popular, especially with the boys. Another insanely popular series is Percy Jackson and the Olympians about a 12 yr old boy who finds out he's half god (his father is Poseidon). That'll be my next 'recommended' book to Jimmy - we'll see what he thinks of it...
The other night I gave Jimmy the first in the Wimpy Kid series to read (the red one), which he wasn't too happy about but he started reading and only quit when I made him turn out his lights to go to sleep, 125 pages later! He finished it the next day then picked up the next one (the blue one) - ON HIS OWN!! This morning when I woke up I saw him in bed finishing the second Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules. THIS AUTHOR ROCKS! The third book is supposed to be available in January 09. Jimmy's bummed about the wait but hopefully we'll find something else he likes in the meantime.
BTW, all the titles in blue are links to the authors' websites or to a website for you to see the books.
18 May 2008
Diary of a Wimpy Kid...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay for Diary of a Wimpy Kid! We had the same experience with Rand after YOU sent us those books (WOOHOO for Tricia!). We've been recommending them left and right for all the people we've talked to who said their kids aren't readers. Rand & Savannah fight over the books so we've had to limit them to re-reading them only once a week...so funny.
I know - I'm totally surprised that he loved them that much. I'm so glad! I'll have to send you another copy of them...
Post a Comment