01 April 2008

Consequences of My Alien Abduction

So yeah, I'm becoming sort of a health-food nut - never thought it would happen to me, but ever since those little green aliens abducted me a couple of years back I've been turning into one of those crazy people who won't let her kids eat things with caffeine, artificial colors, hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, MSG, etc. I refuse to allow my dad to cook for us in his non-stick pans (a point of contention between us). My poor children are forced to eat organic cereals instead of those sugary cereals we all grew up loving. And I'm up to 14 supplements daily - 12 in pill form & 2 liquid).

The lesson to be learned from this story is this: wear those metal helmets to keep those pesky aliens away!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

OK talk to me about sorbitol and maltitol. They seem to be similar to xylitol as they are naturally occurring sugar alcohols. Do you stay away from those as well?

Our Ice Breakers gum (yummy cubes in cute flappy box) don't have aspartame either...it might be just in Oregon though.

Also, don't forget the ban on microwave popcorn (Teflon...BOO).

Our new thing is eating 10 servings of organic tomatoes a week. That's a lot but there was a study (Harvard Medical School) that concluded that people who ate that many servings per week were 45% less likely to develop prostate and has been linked to a decrease in breast cancer as well. And I read another 10 year study (done at University of California-Davis I think) that said tomatoes were the one food that the "organic" mattered (other than for taste...for the actual increase in antioxidants).

Anyway, we're a little behind your progressive alien abduction craziness but I think our next kooky thing will be ultra whole grains. I found a new organic 5 grain cereal (hot, like oatmeal) that has flax seeds (among other things) in it. WOOT!

Tricia said...

I'm still unsure about Maltitol, but I try to stay away from sorbitol. Here's what I read from one website: "Sorbitol is produced naturally by the body, yet sorbitol is poorly digested by the body. Too much sorbitol in cells can cause damage." Another site says that sorbitol is only dangerous when produced within your body, but I'm just staying away from it to be sure, until I do more research. When I find out more I'll letcha know.

And yeah, no more microwave popcorn for us. Just good-old-fashioned-in-a-stainless steel-pot-on-the-stove-popcorn. THAT was a tough one - microwave popcorn was a staple around here!

I'm really TRYING to force myself to like tomatoes, but so far - not happenin'. I've gotten to where I don't pick them out of everything now, at least. One of these days...

What cereal is it that you found? Do your kids like it?

Amanda said...

I still hate tomatoes. It's like drinking down that really bad cough medicine...just gotta do it. I've found some interesting recipes but nothing that totally masks it. The cooked tomatoes have more lycopine though so lasagna works!

The cereal is in the bulk foods section and just called "5 Grain Cereal - Organic" hehe All it has in it is flax, barley, oats, cracked wheat and something else...watch it be teflon. :-P

Kim "O" said...

Well I'm now converted to anti fluoride in the water. Thanks a lot you alien abducting woman!

I'm not too green though. I'm against bottled water as it's terrible for the environment but our tap water is terrible too. So I stick with Pepsi or Coke non diet. Hey gotta do something good for me. No diet products no NutraSweet or other artificial sweeteners.
No OK that's pretty much it. I have a whole new set of hard anodized cookware I love. It replaced my 20 year old Revereware stainless steel with copper bottom set.

Ahh now to go eat my prepackaged egg rolls I deep fried and dip into soy sauce. (No msg in the sauce though!)I'm such a slouch!

OH we do use organic PB and I hate white bread only like the whole multi-grain bread especially with oats in it.

Tricia said...

hehe... That's how it starts. Then they come for you & suck ya in...

Kim "O" said...

Am I the only one who thinks white bread tastes like sticky paste. It's just gross. I really don't like it. The only thing it's good for is grilled cheese sandwiches which is one of the few things Meg doesn't like, so I don't make them much.

Oh I made the best grilled cheese sandwich not long ago. I had sourdough bread and put some smoked Gouda on it with a balsamic vinaigrette to dip it in. That was one grilled cheese Meg liked!

Anonymous said...

14 supplements a day sounds yucky. Pretty soon you'll be reduced to eating only turf. How far is too far?

I grow my own salsa... tomato, jalepeno, and cilantro. That is as organic as it gets for me.

It's too expensive to keep up, sometimes.

(The worst part is food that is bad for you is considerably more affordable.;-))