03 March 2009

Who's Idea Was This, Anyway?!?

So last week was BEAUTIFUL! It was warm, but not too warm until Friday where it got up into the 80's. I wasn't complaining, though. I don't complain much about our hot, Texas weather anymore, not after spending over 2 years in hellishly cold Michigan (you see, to me hell will be frigid instead of hot). So we decided it would be the PERFECT weekend to go camping. Ha! You know what they say about Texas weather? Well leave it to us to prove it's true! Friday afternoon was up into the upper 80's and that night dipped down into the 40's I believe, then Saturday night it got down to freezing. Literally! Fortunately I came prepared. I brought extra sweatshirts, blankets, etc, and Matt brought his military sleeping bag that has 3 layers, and it's rated for something like -10 degrees. Rachel got one layer (the warmest), Jimmy got another inside of his sleeping bag, and Jessi got all the extra blankets. Matt & I froze our butts, but that's what parents do, right?

Oh yeah, and I got roped into a rousing game of D&D (Dungeons & Dragons for all you non-nerd types :-P).

As a side note, if you're thinking we're going to Hell because we're subjecting our kids to this 'evil' game I certainly hope you don't enjoy movies such as Lord of the Rings, Willow, etc. or books such as Spiderwick Chronicles. This game is not evil, it's just a role-playing game in which you have a mission to accomplish and along the way you encounter fantasy creatures. It actually makes the kids come up with creative ways to problem-solve.

We had good, quality family time, played games, went hiking for a few almost warm hours on Saturday. And Jimmy got to check off his 'plan a meal for camping' in his scouting book. He even cooked it - Woohoo!

2 comments:

Sally Blackburn said...

You silly. Does anybody you know think that game will end you up in hell? haha love you!

Kim "O" said...

Trish when the temp dropped I'd have packed up the kids and gone home. Like you being cold to me is hellish. I hate it with a passion. It would have ruined the day for me so heading home to a warm bath, good book and heat would have been my treat!