So for the past several years I tell the kids we are doing simple costumes. Well, every year I start out with that plan, but even my 'simple' turns into something much more - I just can't keep it simple, I love Halloween too much! Jessi likes simple costumes, and she always wants to be a witch or wizard or something, so she just wore the same one as last year.
Two Halloweens ago (or 3 now that the latest one just passed, Jimmy was a kid being abducted by an alien. He got so much attention & so many laughs that he wanted to be the same thing the following year, so last year he wore the same costume. Well, this year he wanted to do something different so he was a stick figure. This was the coolest costume! Matt & I heard from so many people how great it was......especially when he turned around & they saw his backside :-D!
Only problem was, he was not happy at first because he thought nobody was noticing him. Because everyone could see him way down the street, they would laugh & comment on his costume from a ways away (when they saw it). While Matt & I noticed the comments from people, Jimmy wasn't paying enough attention to hear the people down the road. As soon as we started pointing out every instance we heard of someone noticing & loving his stick man, he was happy again, especially when a truck with the bed full of teenagers passed him & yelled to him that his was the coolest costume they'd ever seen!
But I do have to admit that Rachel kind of stole his thunder a little. She wasn't as noticeable from far away, but when they went up to the houses to trick-or-treat she was definitely the center of attention! People stopped her to take pictures, had her wait so they could get their friends/wives/siblings, etc. out there to check her out! They wanted to know where she got the costume, and one guy told me he was going to steal the idea. A little girl about 6-7 asked her mom if that was a real head on the table. Ha! We had so much fun!
Yeah, I did get a little crazy with the fake blood :-P
Unfortunately these pictures are a little dark (Jimmy's had to be), but we got started quite a bit later than we had intended. Jimmy was standing there while I was pinning on all the glow sticks & he started complaining that he was hot, and then his head started to hurt, then he kept saying he couldn't focus. At first I thought he was just whining, but when Matt took him to the side & felt his skin it was all clammy. After he recovered I talked to him & determined that he had been standing there with his knees locked the whole time (Matt's told me many stories of soldiers standing in formation with their knees locked & then all of a sudden passing out). So after I explained to Jimmy that he had cut the oxygen supply off from his brain, he made sure he didn't do that again & I was able to finish. Whew! It was a lot of fun, but I'm glad that Halloween is over - their simple costumes absolutely exhausted me this year!
03 November 2008
Halloween
Posted by Tricia at 1:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
whoa! those are some intense costumes!! the head on the table was awesome.
Thanks! It was pretty fun to see them once they were all put together. Jimmy wants to do the head on the platter next year (I think he wants the attention Rachel got). We'll have to let him grow his hair out, though!
These do not look simple at all!!! How creative! I have to say I am a major fan of the stick figure. But the gore at the dinner table had me laughing too!
OMG Trish those were beyond cool!! You have to help me come up with ideas next year! Megan went as a Spanish dancer(princess). Nothing too creative.
Fantastic!!
Post a Comment