08 July 2008

Crazy Times

It's been a while since my last post, but a lot has been happening these last couple of weeks. My brother David moved out & my dad flew to Atlanta to start his job, so we took this opportunity to fix up the girls' room. They have been living in an extremely crowded room this past year - with storage, the computer & desk, a large bookshelf, the craft table, etc. all in there along with a pre-teen an a 9 yr old's toys, clothing & accessories. They've been really good sports. We decided to leave the girls in the room together and use the back bedroom that David moved out of as an office/craft/homeschool room, but we have to do some fixing up in there as well, so all of the extra stuff from the girls' room is now in the living room & dining room.

For the girls' room Rachel wanted baby blue & Jessi wanted yellow walls. I'd go crazy with yellow walls so we compromised & I textured & painted the walls baby blue & the trim/molding yellow. I have a love/hate relationship with carpet, and between Jessi's & my allergies, animals galore, and living on a dirt road that turns to mud & mush when it rains, the last 2 years I've been leaning more towards the hate side of my feelings toward carpet. My first flooring choice is tile, but it takes too long (I want to get the bedrooms done ASAP) & we've never laid tile before so we looked at my second choice, laminate flooring. We were going to go with that until I started adding everything up & it came to around $250 - $300. So we went with our 3rd choice (it was actually never really even a consideration before), which was the peel-and-stick linoleum tiles. Linoleum is just above carpet on my love/hate scale of flooring, but it was cheap (39 cents per square foot) and quick and super easy. So far it seems to be holding up, but we'll see...

We got most of the room done, then had to leave to go camping for 4 days (a much-needed break). Now we're back, got the girls moved in, have a few more finishing touches to do on the room, and we're about to leave again for 4 more days to go to Wichita Falls & Dallas. So once again I'll be coming home to a disasterous house, but it'll all be worth it in the end, right? That's what I keep telling myself anyway.

I will post more in a week or so - I'll have Rachel's date & Jimmy's boy's night out to post about. Till then, be patient with me :-)

3 comments:

Kim "O" said...

Sounds like the redecorating bug got us both! Unfortunately we both are doing it out of necessity. You'll have to post before and after pics.

Amanda said...

Totally worth it in the end!

Remember painting...what were they...dragons? on the walls in the girls' room in Michigan. Or when we ripped out the carpet, made the floors unsqueaky, repainted the study (chocolate brown) and replaced the carpet all before Troy got home from work? hehehe

I definitely miss our projects!

Tricia said...

I totally remember that! Or when you stayed up all night to paint your livingroom/stairway all by yourself? Or what about Jenny's guest room & baby room? We just can't stop ourselves can we?!? It was a LOT more fun doing it together. Xerox needs to move their corporate HQ to Texas like all these other companies!